Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Week from H-E-double toothpicks

Life is fine now, it was anyway, but the 'wonderful' health system wanted to screw it up a little.

When I was at our family doctor getting the OK for The Leach, he said that if I had any bleeding to go to the ER, even if I thought it was nothing, just to be safe. Well, Tuesday, I was having just some light pinkish spotting. I figured it was nothing, but since the Doc told me to, I went to the ER at 2:30pm with my hubby. He had a day off.
Well, we get there and after a weight (not very long compared to the 5 hour weighting room sit I had once) I went to a room and had my examination. The Dr. told me that sometimes that happens when the cervix is irritated, like after a pelvic exam or the S-E-X, because there is increased blood flow there. She told me I would be fine, but just to see how I was coming along; they wanted to do an ultra-sound.
Just routine, they had to do blood levels for pregnancy, which the time to get results is an hour. Those came back normal at 891. After the lab was done they called the ultra-sound tech on call and told me that she would be her in 20 minutes or less. It was another hour and a half till she showed up!
When she finally starts the ultra-sound by shoving the stick thingy up my hoo-ha, it was clear she really didn't know what she was doing. She dug around for about five minutes before she found the gestation sack, and even then, she wasn't sure that it was it. The thing she did find was a dark spot on my ovary.
I see it to and I'm like 'No big deal! I get cysts there every now and then, plus that's a good cyst that's helping The Leach grow.' The Tech has different, thoughts. She thinks it's an ectopic pregnancy. Stupid %&*$&
So, in two days, I go to the OBs office to have more blood levels done; if the 891 doubled in that time, everything should be fine. They called back Friday, telling me that my levels were well over 2000, but the Dr. wanted me to come back in for a second ultra-sound.
Let's just say this tech was 10000 times better than the last. She shoved the stick in and found The leach right away; and it was amazing to see how much s/he had changed in just two days! The Dr. came in telling me everything looked perfect and that they would see me on my scheduled appointment.

All that trouble for nothing? Well, not exactly nothing, I got to see our baby!




Baby at the ER:











Baby 2 days later:

No comments:

Post a Comment